My last post about edible gifts from the Capital Region Farmers Market inspired me to make my own edible Christmas gift! So I decided to make a low-cost Christmas gift you can give to friends, family and colleagues! Christmas popcorn is a delicious, affordable and very easy to make festive gift. It’s also a fun activity to do with kids!
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 250g white chocolate
- 6-8 regular sized candy canes
- ¼ cup hundreds and thousand sprinkles
- Pour the canola oil into a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium high.
- Once the oil is hot, pour corn kernels in and swirl the pan so that corn is evenly covered in oil. Put saucepan lid on and wait for popping to occur.
- Once the popping starts, gently shake the saucepan back and forth to encourage more popping.
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, immediately take the saucepan off the heat, remove the lid and dump the popcorn onto a baking paper-lined baking tray. Arrange evenly across the tray.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water.
- Meanwhile, crush the candy canes in a mortar and pestle. Cover the bowl with your hand so that shards of candy do not fly everywhere.
- Once the chocolate has melted, drizzle it generously over the popcorn, then sprinkle it with the crushed up candy cane and the hundreds and thousands. Work in small areas at a time so that the sprinkles and candy cane stick to the melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool and set.
- Wrap popcorn with clear cellophane and ribbon as an edible Christmas gift or serve in a bowl as a festive snack.
How do you flavour your popcorn? Let me know in the comments!
Are you on social media? Check out my latest updates on the best food and drink in Canberra and beyond! Facebook : /thefoodavenue Instagram: @thefoodavenue Twitter: @thefoodavenue