*This is a sponsored post by the Truffle Festival. More on my Disclosure Policy.
Get wrapped up in winter at the Canberra Region’s Truffle Festival on now through until August. This is the ultimate foodie festival. More than 250 events will be held across the region highlighting the sensual and spectacular Black Winter Truffle.
Food lovers can choose from degustation dinners, regular truffle dishes at cafes and restaurants, truffle hunts, cooking classes and demonstrations, tastings, farmers markets and more.
There are one-off decadent truffle degustations, DIY truffle dinners, masterclasses, truffle markets, truffle growing seminars and more.
- 18 June - Wild on truffles lunch – A DIY experience, Pialligo
- 18 June - Black Truffle & Hazelnut Growing Seminar, Eaglehawk
- 23 June - Hyatt Hotel Veuve Clicquot Truffle Dinner, Yarralumla
- 24 June - Pod Food Annual Truffle Dinner, Pialligo
- 25 June & 23 July - Westfield Truffle Market Days, Woden and Belconnen
- 25 June - Canberra Truffles at the National Press Club, Barton
- 30 June - Truffle Festival Gala Dinner, Canberra Arboretum
- 6 July - Truffle Dinner in the Farmhouse, Pialligo Estate, Pialligo
- 14 July - Bastille Day Celebration, Pialligo Estate, Pialligo
- 11 July - Marble and Grain Truffle Masterclass, Braddon
- 21 July - Black Fire Restaurant Truffle Dinner, Braddon
- 30 July - Sagra Market at Italian & Sons, Braddon
- 31 July - Truffle Talks and Sunday Lunch, New Acton
- 12 August - University House Truffle Cocktail Event, Acton
- 13 August - Truffle Dinner by Chifley’s Bar & Grill, Hotel Kurrajong, Barton
Regular events and activities
Join a live truffle hunt and watch these talented dogs at work. Hunts take place most weekends during winter and involve extras like lunches, tastings and cooking demonstrations. More information on the Truffle Festival website.
Beautiful and inspired truffle dishes perfectly matched with the region’s winter weather are featuring regularly on the menus at a range of cafes and restaurants including:
- Bicicletta, New Acton
- Black Fire Restaurant, Braddon
- Boffins Restaurant, Acton
- Buvette Bistro & Wine Bar, Barton
- C Dine, Kingston Foreshore
- Chifley’s Bar & Grill, Hotel Kurrajong
- Column Restaurant, Barton
- Helix Bar and Dining, Vibe Hotel
- Italian & Sons, Braddon
- Joe’s Bar East Hotel, Griffith
- Lake Crackenback Resort & Spa, Lake Crackenback
- Le Très Bon, Bungendore
- Pialligo Estate, Pialligo
- Pulp Kitchen (degustations every Monday during July)
- Pod Food (offering hunt, wine and 3 course lunch every Sunday during the festival)
- Trevs at Dickson, Dickson
The region’s local wineries, Lerida Estate, Mount Majura and Pankhurst Winery are offering a variety of truffle platters and samples to try with their wines, including Pinot Noir. For the beer drinkers, BentSpoke Brewery at Braddon will be creating a specialty truffled-beer utilising their bartop ‘Hopinator’ infuser.
You’re spoilt for choice with Le Très Bon at Bungendore, 3seeds Cooking School at Fyshwick and Foodish at Belconnen all offering spectacular cooking classes. Make Parisienne-style gnocchi with local truffles, truffle soufflé, fig pudding with a salted truffle caramel sauce and more.
The Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets is the place to regularly buy fresh and local Black Winter Truffle throughout the season. You can also purchase fresh truffle and value-added truffle products like truffle oil, aioli and salsa from Great Southern Truffles. Murray River Salt has a special truffle salt.
Plenty of places to rest your weary head after your truffle experiences. Hotel Kurrajong, Mercure Canberra, Vibe Hotel, Novotel Canberra, Ibis Style and Crowne Plaza will look after you.